CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] 9V1YC, etc

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 9V1YC, etc
From: John Warren <nt5c@texas.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:44:45 -0600
Steve K0XP wrote:

>The absolute BIGGEST surprise, to me, was hearing 9V1YC CQing on 40m (yes,
>FORTY) when I first got on at around 23Z; he was still S5 when he finally
>QSYed or QRTed sometime after 00Z. That was the first time I've ever heard
>him on 40m. Never did get a rise from him, though.

9V1YC was 57/58 into Texas on 7085 SSB, calling CQ as the contest
began. He was getting no answers, but that didn't prompt him to QSX
up for USA! (It wasn't James operating). In fact, one of the
characteristics of IARU is how few Asian stations listen up for USA
on 40M SSB, despite typically excellent propagation 1100-1300Z (BC
QRM? QRN? Not interested?).

John, NT5C.