CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] "?" not equal to "QRL?"

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "?" not equal to "QRL?"
From: <w9wi@w9wi.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:32:56 -0400
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 22:32:38 EDT
  Jimk8mr@aol.com wrote:
> All that said, I disagree that a failure to elicit a
>response to a "?" or
> "QRL" constitutes a grant of a frequency.  Call a quick
>CQ, and if a guy  comes
> on telling you "QRL QSY", do so.

Of course, even "CQ N5EE" is significantly longer than
"QRL?".

The other issue that comes up when you do it this way
is...  what happens if someone answers your quick CQ?

- isn't your caller likely to QRM the rightful user,
trying to figure out where you went, especially if you
might be a mult?

- Might your caller clobber the rightful user's "QRL QSY",
causing you to wrongly believe the channel was unoccupied?

- If you ignore the caller, aren't you wrongly wasting his
time?

==
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66