CT-User

[ct-user] PCI port card & DOS CT

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] PCI port card & DOS CT
From: Dan Szymanski" <daniel.szymanski@erols.com (Dan Szymanski)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 02:33:17 -0000
If you go back a few years (OK several) when BBS SYS OP's ruled the earth,
they had the same problem in a DOS environment.  Then from above GOD created
the FOSSIL driver and cards like the DIGI  8 and 16 port COM card arrived.
I have been using a 8 Port DIGI card in my old DOS only CT machine without
that useless CT supplied DIGI TSR.  It works great.  Not only do I have COM1
and COM2  under normal DOS control but COM3 through COM8 on only one IRQ
(selectable).  So I have 10 COM ports and keep my mouse and a external modem
connected all the time. The best part with the CT supplied COM TSR's is that
you can control some important parameters that must be supplied with cards
like the DIGI and the Byte Runner cards.  The answer to COM port control is
very simple.  The IRQ can be they same except you change the hex address,
one unique hex address per COM port.  Exactly how the FOSSIL driver is set
up. Look at a typical (DOS) FOSSIL INI file and you will see. So your
application programs need to be selected carefully. Gee guys this is old
technology.  It isn't rocket science stuff. Maybe we have just outsmarted
ourselves with technically challenged people insisting that CT will under no
circumstances work on their Windows machines or else they run to the nearest
reflector to whine. The question I have is how people get a PCI Byte Runner
card to work in a pure DOS environment.  Where no PCI support ever existed.
There must be a trick to that one.