CT-User

[ct-user] Single-multi operation

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Single-multi operation
From: Georgens, Tom" <tgeorgen@ppdpost.ks.symbios.com (Georgens, Tom)
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 97 20:57:00 CST
A number of people have suggested using two computers for
two radio operation but this seems like a lot of work for little gain.

When I operate, I use a modified K8CC box to monitor the second radio.
When I CQ on the first radio, tapping a foot switch will move the headphones
to radio 2 until the VOX drops and the phones revert to radio 1.  Holding
down
the foot switch will keep the phones on radio 2.  The real K8CC box is
symmetrical
in that either radio can be the main radio.

I also have another box that is wired to Radio 1/Radio 2 bit on LPT 2 that
is
toggled by the Alt-. command.  This box switches the mic, key and headphones
to the second radio.  This way, I never have to take my hands off
the keyboard to switch radios and I only need one microphone and key.

The sequence is to find a station to work on radio 2 while CQ'ing on radio
1.
When I want to work the guy on the second radio I press Alt-., work the guy,
and Alt-. to get back.  It is very efficient.  The only drawback is the lack
of
a continuous check partial when tuning the second radio.  Ken, I appreciate
your response to the request.

I know that other ops split the headphones with one radio in each ear.
 K5ZD, W4AN
and others use this technique.  THis is a skill that I have not acquired and
I am
hugely impressed at those who can operate like that.

I am always interested in other people's solution to this problem but it
still seems
to me that good software should eliminate the need for a second computer.

73, Tom W2SC tom.georgens@symbios.com
To: <ct-user@contesting.com>