CT-User

C21/YI

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: C21/YI
From: reisert@wrksys.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert AD1C 13-Mar-1994 1329)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 1994 13:24:59 -0500
Pete, VE5VA wrote:

[Stuff about callsign being C21/MM if your name was, for example, Mickey
Mouse]

>There may be other initials that'll blow it up. I'll have to make Nauru a
>special case.
>Would CT, NA etc handle this properly?

Yes and no.  Technically, "MM" is a valid UK prefix for Scotland.  I believe
CT takes it to mean /maritime mobile (in fact, I just checked this, CT
thinks callsign is Nauru, maritime mobile).

This prefix breaks most parsers (including CT) because *usually* the
portable prefix is shorter than, or the same length as the main callsign
(i.e.  PA3CXC/ST0).  So you can tell the portable prefix from the main
callsign (except in rare cases like N9NS/KH5K).  In the Nauru case, most
parsers would assume "MM" is the portable prefix.  In fact, if you enter
"C21/YI" into CT, it thinks it is Iraq.  And you can not enter other C21/xx
callsigns, CT calls them a dupe!

How do you special-case this? Probably just call all "C21/anything"
callsigns as Nauru.

73 - Jim AD1C