CT-User

[ct-user] CTWIN - TNC Interface Problem

To: ct-user@contesting.com
Subject: [ct-user] CTWIN - TNC Interface Problem
From: "John Crovelli" <w2gd@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:18:10 -0400
Has anyone elso experienced problems interfacing a packet TNC when running CTWIN 10.01.010? NO2R and I tried two different manufacturer's TNCs connected via COM1 (and via COM6 through a PCMCIA card) on my laptop. In all cases the results were the same. It appears some form of handshaking is taking place but the displayed output from the TNCs on the CT packet window is garbled (we see special characters, missing letters in words, etc.) When we switched to DOS and run CTDOS ver. 9.92 the TNC interfacing problem disappears.

The PC is a Dell Latitude C600A P3 850 Mhz laptop running XP Pro. A PCMCIA duel port card is installed and functioning normally to expand the number of available serial ports ( assigned COM5 and COM6). I'm using COM5 for rig control of my IC756ProII....this works perfectly. The DB9 connection on the laptop - COM1, is being used to connect the TNC (we also tried the TNCs connected to COM6 through but got the same results)

The TNCs are both running at 1200 baud, 8,N,1. . Tried all possible configuration options on MS device manager for COM1 (and COM6), including the advanced speed settings, but could not achieve correct operation.

Hoping someone else on the reflector has been through this problem and has a fix. Thanks.

73,
John W2GD
w2gd@hotmail.com