CT-User

IQR query

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: IQR query
From: merchant@crl.com (Steve Merchant)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 1994 11:25:17 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 7 Apr 1994, Dick Dievendorff wrote:

      [stuff deleted]

> Like many others, I'm having trouble finding enough IRQs
> >= 7 to support the cards I'd like to install.
>
> My system has a bus mouse and a DVP that both want an IRQ
> 7 or below.

N4TQO:  I have the same, plus a DRSI tnc which will use any irq 2-7.
And a Sound Blaster in there, using one of them also. (I think this may
be mapped to irq 10, however.)

I've had some of our Intel weenies researching this for me, but no one
has found any way to map irqs from the first controller onto irqs
on the second controller.  Does anyone know if this is possible?

Running out of com ports seems easily fixable -- running out of lower
controller irq's is a different matter.  No one seems to manufacture
add-in boards which can make use of the second controller irq's.

One question I have is whether it would make a performance difference if you
moved the floppy controller up onto a higher irq address (assuming the
controller would let you do that in the first place)?

Thanks for the nudge, Dick -- I've been wanting to post this question ever
since WPX SSB.

73, Steve  N4TQO
merchant@crl.com