NA-User

[na-user] W4AN's Contest Software Tip of the Day

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] W4AN's Contest Software Tip of the Day
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu> (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 19:56:00 -0400
At 01:24 PM 7/15/98 -0400, Bill Fisher - W4AN wrote:

>Tip #2:  I always make my autoexec.bat file so that it starts the
>software automatically for the contest I am operating.  That way when Im
>30 hours in to a 48 hour contest I dont have to try and remember where I
>have NA on the hard disk or what file name I used after the computer
>reboots itself or the power goes out.  I would think this is a must for
>multi's or guest-op situations.

I don't do this because you could get into a bizarre software loop if the
software keeps crashing your computer.

At KC1XX we modify the autoexec.bat to CD to the directory for our
particular contest.  Then we create a batch file (like WW.BAT) which has
all the commands to load the TSRs, run the program, etc.  The name of the
.BAT is something easy to remember.  When the computer reboots, we just
type WW.  This way if we need to fix something that's broken, there's an
opportunity before you start the logging software.

- Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>      http://jjr.ne.mediaone.net/