NA-User

[na-user] SMARTDRV notes

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] SMARTDRV notes
From: Rich Dailey, KA8OKH" <okh.npi@gte.net (Rich Dailey, KA8OKH)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:13:14 -0500
A few pointers on SMARTDRV -

Be sure to use the SMARTDRV that came with Windows 3.1/3.11.

Turn OFF disk write caching!! This is very important.  SMARTDRV
without any parameters will cache disk writes as well as disk reads.
Do this by specifying the disk drive to be cached, such as -

C:\windows\SMARTDRV.EXE C

If disk write caching is enabled, you run the risk of losing valuable
data if the power burps on your PC.  In other words, it's delaying when
the computer decides to write/update you log. What you want is the PC
to write that qso in the log as soon as you hit the enter (or +) key.

There are other parameters that can be passed to SMARTDRV.  Here's
my line from AUTOEXEC.BAT that has worked for me since 1992 -

C:\windows\SMARTDRV.EXE C D /b:32 1024 1024

If anyone else is interested in knowing more,  I could probably write
up something on it and post it here on na-user.

Good luck to all in ARRL 10m this weekend,

tu de Rich

Rich Dailey, KA8OKH <okh.npi@gte.net>
The KB4NPI/KA8OKH Web <http://home1.gte.net/web22jfw/index.htm>
Happy Holidays!