NA-User

[NA-User] Screen colors

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [NA-User] Screen colors
From: k8cc@comcast.net (k8cc)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 19:45:46 -0500
At 03:12 PM 3/29/02 +0000, Bob, N5RP wrote:
>Having done some computer work this end, I now have a packet screen that
>is sort of turquoise background and pink announce text.
>
>I don't need that combo to help me go blind.
>
>What SPECIFIC color change addresses the announce window combinations?
>I just can't seem to find it in the color configuration sub menu.

Bob,

The color choice for new multipliers in the announce window is "hard coded"
into the program.  The color is actually not pink, but "bright red" against
the turquoise background.  The combination seemed logical, but I'll concede
the not everyone likes the appearance.  As G3SJJ noted, he commented about
the color and I gave him the response about being "hard coded" into the
program.

This change was made inversion 10.45 which was released 01-26-00 so it has
been out for a while.  We've used it in many multi-multis at the K8CC
station (we usually leave that window up all the time).  Some of our ops
have commented on it, but I guess they get used to it.

Let me explain why the color is "hard-coded" (i.e., fixed).  A long time
ago, the number of NA screen colors was decided upon.  While we could have
allowed every color to be adjusted independently, we made a tradeoff
between flexibility and complexity (which translates into ease of
use).  The choices we've made have held up pretty well over the years - I
think that a lot of NA users don't even know they can change their screen
colors.

Two years ago there was a lot of interest in color-coding the packet spot
announcements list.  Our preference would be to not expand the format of
the color table because then it would not be "forward compatible".  This
would become apparent when a user would upgrade to the newer version and
the old color choices (contained in NA.CFG) would not have values for the
new colors.  So we decided to make the foreground color (i.e., the color of
the letters) of all new multipliers to be red, figuring this would provide
the benefit of new mult discrimination with the least amount of negative
impact.

One way to quickly improve the situation would be to adjust the colors
using CONFIG.EXE.  In proving out a solution to suggest, I've discovered a
program bug.  If you go into the color chart in CONFIG.EXE, the 12th choice
down says "Terminal and Announce Windows", however while changing this
choice does change the color of the packet terminal, it does not change the
announce window.  In looking at the code, the announce window is using the
"Multiplier Window Inside" choice.  If you change the background color of
this choice to white, I think you have much more readable colors in the
announce window (dupes=black, new QSOs=bright white and new mults=red).

Based on your interest, we'll try to rethink the color choices and how we
can better allow the user to "fine tune" these to their preference.

73,

Dave/K8CC