NA-User

Re: [NA-User] Computer help

Subject: Re: [NA-User] Computer help
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:46:58 -0400
All:

Based on Steve's note, I went and checked out K1NU.com and the
interfaces he offers.  Doing rig control and CW keying on a single port
is pretty straight forward, as the rig control uses the COM port's
serial data pins (TXD & RXD) while the keying uses the control pins
(DTR/RTS etc.).  But there are a couple of caveats that I want to explain.

THe K1NU interfaces are built into the shell of the COM port connector,
making a compact and convenient package.  The rig control portion of the
interface needs a power source for the level converter chip which
converts the RS232 signal levels from the computer to the TTL levels the
radios typically require.  Rather than having a wire coming out of the
connector shell and requiring an external power source, the K1NU
interface (and others like it from W1GEE, MFJ, etc.) require one of the
COM port's pins to be turned on constantly to be used to power the level
converter chip; in this case the RTS pin (pin 7 on a DB-9 COM port and
pin 4 on a DB-25 COM port).

The caveat with this approach is that NA (and many of the other logging
programs) use the RTS output to allow the computer to control
transmit/receive, the advantage of which is that it can provide
VOX-style T/R delay after sending (like your radio does) for manual
(i.e. paddle) sending but no delay when the computer sends a canned message.

It's my feeling that most people don't use this feature, in which case
the RTS port pin is asserted whenever NA is running and interfaces such
as the K1NU should work fine.

The second caveat is that I've seen computers where the COM port cannot
provide enough current out of the COM port pin to power the interface.

None of these comments are intended to be a criticism of the K1NU
interface.  As I mentioned earlier, other companies utilize the same
approach in their interfaces, and even the computer's mouse (if its a
COM port mouse) uses a port pin for it's operating current.  However,
these comments reflect the experiences I've had when using self-powered
rig control interfaces at K8CC.

So to summarize, to successfully use self-powered radio control
interfaces such as the K1NU:

- Make sure NA's CW PTT is set to NO in the Configuration Editor,
CONFIG.EXE, F5 screen.

- If radio control does not seem to be working, check the voltage on the
RTS pin (pin 7 on a DB-9, pin 4 on a DB-25) with the interface connected
and NA running.  I'm not sure of the exact minimum voltage for the K1NU
interface, but a good rule of thumb is that it should be 7 VDC minimum.

73,

Dave/K8CC