NA-User

[NA-User] Re: 10.59 Problem

To: "Robert Pack (NX5M)" <nx5m@txcyber.com>
Subject: [NA-User] Re: 10.59 Problem
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:06:01 -0500
Bob,

This is probably too late for the contest, but I got to the root of the problem you found. Here are some details which reinforce the decision to use 10.58 at NX5M this weekend.

The problem lies in what I call "spot filtering" - specifically, trying to identify spots which are dupes or mults. The difficulty lies in the fact that packet spots have only frequency information, no mode information. We have to apply some frequency assumptions to determine a mode, but yet there are bands where frequency does not determine mode (ex: 160M) and some bands where the mode can be ambiguous (ex: 75M and 40M sideband below the US phone bands).

One of the big changes in 10.59 was attempting to better deal with the above issues. What I discovered this evening is that there were bugs in how the mode assumptions were applied. These bugs did not affect single-mode contests (like CQWW as you mentioned), nor did they affect ARRL 10M for single-mode entries, but ARRL 10 mixed mode (like your NX5M multi-op entry) were hosed.

I have the code fixed now, and I'm going to wring it out a little tomorrow evening in the early part of the contest. If everything appears OK, I'll have webmaster Tom put it up on the site later in the evening so it could be downloaded during the Friday night dead time if you want. It will be version 10.60.

I apologize for these errors, and thank you for your help in getting them fixed.

73,

Dave/K8CC