NA-User

Re: [NA-User] 4 serial port card

To: "Robert Pack (NX5M)" <nx5m@txcyber.com>,"Bill Feissner" <ai3q@arrl.net>, <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [NA-User] 4 serial port card
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:11:21 -0500
Bill, Bob, et al:

I ran into the PCI/COM wall last fall when we were prepping for our VE1JF trip for the 2003 CQWW SSB. We were taking our own computers (to run NA) rather than running WrongLog which was on the host station's PCs. The computers were these cute little Acer P-200 desktops which I got at a computer show for $75 each with a 2 GB HDD, single COM, single LPT, a CD-ROM and 32 MB of RAM. The problem with small form factor PCs is limited expandability - there were only two slots - one a PCI and the other a combo PCI/ISA.

Since this was a phone contest, the ISA slot was taken by a W9XT Contest Card. We needed two COMs on one computer (radio & network) and three on the other (radio, network, and packet). I found PCI single-COM cards at CompUSA which worked fine for the first computer after some experimentation to determine what the configuration program used as the default IRQ.

For the other computer, I looked very hard for even a dual port PCI serial card which would work with NA. While I could find dual port PCI COM cards, they all suffered from a common shortcoming: the two ports both shared a common interrupt request line (IRQ) and the COM port handlers in NA are designed to require separate IRQs for each port. CT has the same limitation. TRLog doesn't because it polls the COM ports and doesn't use IRQs; however for this reason it's limited to 4800 baud.

Ultimately, for the 'JF trip what I did was rummage through my junk box of old cards and found an ISA card with two ports with settable IRQs.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for Bill right now. If your motherboard has two COMs on board, you can probably add a third COM with the commonly available single-COM PCI cards.

Dave/K8CC

At 02:32 PM 12/12/04 -0600, Robert Pack (NX5M) wrote:
If you have two you could just add another dual port card.
That is what I did with all my stuff.

73, Bob NX5M