NA-User

[na-user] WIN98 booted to PREVIOUS ver of DOS

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] WIN98 booted to PREVIOUS ver of DOS
From: dap14@daimlerchrysler.com (dap14@daimlerchrysler.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:32:20 -0500
I agree with Tyler about using the WIN.BAT file to trap the Win95 startup
process and stay in DOS.  I have my Dell P-200 laptop set up that way.  I
also have two more batch files, one called GOWIN.BAT that simply contains
the command "WIN", so that once the load process stops, I can simply type
"GOWIN" and Win95 will continue loading.  I also have another batch file
called DOSMODE.BATwhich sets up paths, starts SMARTDRV and loads any
specific drivers (such as for my PCMCIA COM2 card) which I'll need to stay
in DOS, for contesting or NA development.  I've had it this way for almost
two years (ever since Tyler showed me how to do it on the 1998 WP3X trip).
Works real slick.

One thing about this approach, the "DOS" you're in is not DOS 6.22, but the
VER command returns DOS 7.0.  Most things are the same, but some commands
don't appear to be available.  I've never had a compatibility problem with
NA.

Dave/K8CC