Orion

Re: [Orion] Orion II and headphone audio distortion UPDATE &solution

To: <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion II and headphone audio distortion UPDATE &solution
From: <dbp@tds.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:37:21 +0000
Hi-
 A phone call to Paul Clinton at TenTec has helped alot!
 He suggested that I disconnect all of the extra connecting cables like the amp
relay, the computer interface cable, the remote knob etc. from the rear of the
ORION II. There was no distortion in my headphone audio.  Then I reconnected
cables one at a time until the audio distorted again.
 BTW I had been using a commercial computer interface with a home brew
interface cable set with my ORION I with no problems. But with the ORION II,
specifically the I/O connector cable was the problem. To find which specific
wire was the culprit I cut one wire at a time from that connector until the
distortion ceased. When I cut the "Line Out" wire, that stopped the distortion.
It also ended my ability to copy signals using the computer.
 With some experimentation I found that a 1uF/50V capacitor in series with the
"Line Out" wire (pin 4 of the I/O connector) cured the problem. I was able to
get the cap. inside the DIN connector shell, no problem. It works now as it
should. All's well that end's well.
 73 de dave K1OPQ