RFI

Re: [RFI] Power Line Noise @ N5OP

To: "'Kim Elmore'" <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Power Line Noise @ N5OP
From: "RFI Services' Mike Martin" <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 07:54:08 -0500
Hello Kim,
I guess I miss understood your statement. I thought you were saying the
noise at the source was intermittent due to windy conditions but didn't
correlate to the starting and stopping of the noise at your home.

You are correct. The intermittency could be due to the wire , pole, or
hardware movement effecting the position of the sparking location. The spark
causing your issue could be in a gap as small as a thousandth of an inch. It
takes very little vibration to disturb this.
The chance of being able to hear these noise sources with your ear is very
unlikely. This source isn't going to be corona, however the source may have
a component of corona as a result of the arcing. RF can travel a great
distances but corona will not.
Once you contact OG&E, send the person you're working with our emails. If
they don't want to communicate via email print them and hand them copies.
Let them know they are welcome to contact me, as they were trained by me and
a refresher over the phone sometimes goes a long way. They'll know this.
As for the intermittency, that is the result of their equipment and is an
issue they need to work with. It can be done and they know how to deal with
it. The important details are the direction and the band you receive it on
at your house. they'll need to have access to your antenna before and during
ever investigation. If you can't be present during the investigation have an
antenna connection available for them to tap onto. Make a run of RG 58 (with
the frequency labeled at the BNC connector) to the outside from your
antenna, that will allow them easy access and you won't have to be home. A
cable hanging by the meter is a good location if physically possible. This
will not alarm your neighbors because it's common to see the utility people
in this area.
If you suggest poles with noise sources on them, make sure it is your noise.
You don't need to fix them all, just the sources being heard by your
receiver. Because a noise source is close to your antenna doesn't mean it
will affect your reception. It is very common for me to find a complaint
source 2 miles from the complainant and I pass as many as twenty different
source along the way to the source that aren't effecting the complainant.
This is a very common mistake that adds to the expense and failure.
If you should end up with OEC all the above pertains to them as well. They
also have been trained. However you really should start with your provider,
especially if you believe the source is on their pole.

I spend hours every day answering emails and telephone calls from my clients
so it isn't always easy for me to respond to issues I see on the reflector
however I do my best to give support. So if it takes me a couple days to
respond and sometime I may not respond at all I apologize. My attention is
to my clients first and when time allows I enjoy doing what I can to assist
the amateur community, especially thru this reflector.

In the event you work with someone that isn't familiar with RFI services it
would be to their advantage and yours to recommend they visit my web site
and this reflector for information and education.

Mike Martin k3rfi
RFI Services
6469 Old Solomons Island Rd
Tracys Landing, Md 20779