RFI

RE: [RFI] Power Line Noise in Indonesia

To: "'Simon Martin'" <simon@knaap.co.id>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] Power Line Noise in Indonesia
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:43:08 -0000
You could try pointing out to the power company that you are detecting
insulators that are in the process of failing.  They should be
interested in finding and replacing insulators that may cause them
problems in the future.  They may also be interested if you point out
that each insulator that is causing noise like that is wasting power...
a small amount per insulator, but it adds up when there are hundreds or
thousands of them.

Since you say that the noise is better when it rains there are two
possible explanations.  First, the insulator surfaces are cracked or
have arc damage, in this case the rain is filling the gaps and causing a
steady current instead of arcing.  These should be replaced.  The other
is that the insulators are dirty.  In this case the arcing is between
gaps in the contamination, when it rains the gaps are bridged or the
contamination is washed off for a while, once the surface dries the
noise starts again.  Power washing can remove contamination without
shutting off the line, but must be repeated regularly if you are in a
marine or heavy industrial area that contaminates them quickly.  I have
also seen some surface treatments that can help prevent surface
contamination, but not sure how widely these are available.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net

On