RFI

Re: [RFI] PME (Was: Earth isolation)

To: <eedwards@tconl.com>, <george.shaw@ukf.net>, <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] PME (Was: Earth isolation)
From: "Phil Wait" <philwait@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:36:52 +1000
Hello Gentlemen,

This is my first post to this group but I've been snooping for a while.

In Australia we use an off-peak tariff system for water heating. The water
heater is connected back to a separate switchboard meter with a tone
controlled switch (audio PLC). The power company controls the switching of
the water heaters and offers a greatly reduced rate. It's been around for as
long as I can remember.

This may be what George means by a supply board timer.

By the way we use a system called mains earth neutral (MEN) where the earth
and neutral conductors are bonded at each switchboard and also connected to
a ground stake.

This could be the multiple earthing system George refers to.

The advantage of this system is greater protection especially in areas of
poor ground. The disadvantage is that an incorrect neutral connection in the
street could have disastrous results, however active and neutral conductors
are both fused on the line side of the MEN connection.

Naturally this MEN system presents a massive imbalance to the power supply
line impedance, and together with the fact that 240V reticulation allows a
much greater number of homes to be connected to each 11kV - 240V
transformer, the problems associated with BPL are expected to be greater.

regards
Phil Wait
VK2DKN