RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Direction Finding

To: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Direction Finding
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:06:44 -0600
Don,

I have found that mobile 'trouble shooting' of the power
grid from a car is limited by the vehicle ignition systems
too.

Peak reading instrumentation (peak amplitude reading
receivers) quite nicely 'grab' the series of spark plug
firings and show that value; this sets a floor below
which power line noise (or other sources) cannot
be read.

I've contemplated rigging up my appliance dolly for
foot-based tracking/plotting along the road - strapping
a 6 or 8' length of PVC to one of the rails of the dolly
and then moving the entire contraption (antenna,
receiver, battery, data logger) down the road.

The alternative is to convince a ham friend of mine who
owns one of the old mechanical fuel-injection mercedes
to  'drive the route' with the RF gear loaded in/mounted
on his vehicle.

The up side is, the more serious AC line impulse noise
sources will read 20 to 30 dB up scale from the floor set
by the spark plug firings. It is then easy to spot the
location/the area to return to and do foot-based searching.

Just listening by ear to a narrow band receiver (where the
sharp, narrow pulses from the arcing noise source) will 'ping'
the IF filter and cause it to ring, thereby stretching out the
pulse width, can be deceiving as to actual source signal
strength. The spark firings would yield the same effect
to an average-reading non-peak reading AM receiver, but
through artful interpretation of the audible 'noise' coming
out the speaker even a NB AM receiver can be used
fruitfully to find a lot of these offending line noise sources.

Jim P  -- WB5WPA --