RFI

Re: [RFI] From Communications Daily re: BPL

To: "Dave Bernstein" <dave.bernstein@comcast.net>, <ve3zi@rac.ca>,<rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] From Communications Daily re: BPL
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:21:26 -0400
<<President Bush has
already publicly stated the need to make such changes. The
administration's
position is predicated on the belief that BPL is a great way
to quickly get
everyone a high speed connection. One approach to heading
this off is to
illuminate the fact that BPL has serious flaws independent
of its RFI
generation; the administration and FCC should not turn
things upside down to
get it deployed, but should instead turn their attention to
a more
appropriate technology (e.g. WiMax).Clearly I'm in no
position to predict what the administration and FCC will
do, but we need to be looking several moves ahead in this
campaign. Its all
too easy to win the battle but lose the war.>>

I agree Dave.

A good step now would be to convince whoever is running
things behind the scenes in the Bush administration that
Commissioner Powell should be redirected to focus on another
system like WiMax.

That takes money.

I'm willing to bet that someone behind BPL has been making
some very large contributions to Bush's election expenses or
to the administration through lobbyists.

If technical people still ran the FCC, BPL would never have
hatched. Unfortunately it is money running the FCC now. The
question is how we get a voice.

73 Tom