RFI

RE: [RFI] From Communications Daily re: BPL

To: "'Ron Feutz'" <feutz@wctc.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] From Communications Daily re: BPL
From: "Dave Bernstein" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 02:09:27 -0400
Sorry if my reference to President Bush and the current administration
introduced a partisan twist. That was not my intent; I meant only to
cite the recent actions that underly my concerns. As have many before
them, I'm sure that the PLCB would have found ways to exert influence no
matter who runs the show.

Getting heard is hard. Doubtless this is the motive behind the ARRL's
recent (and in my view, belated) decision to establish a lobbying
effort; I was unable to locate the press release on the ARRL web site,
and so have appended it below.

As hams, we do have another "channel": our community involvement. This
work brings us into contact with local officials and decision-makers. We
won't influence many congressmen this way, but a concerted "bottom up"
effort across the entire country could make it more challenging for the
PLCB and utilties to convince local municipalities that BPL is the wave
of the future. Accomplishing this requires packaging up a set of
briefing materials that local ARRL-led teams can use to educate hams in
every area. This isn't very expensive, but it does require a serious
investment of both time and energy. There's no guarantee that this will
be the difference that makes the difference, but if we lose the BPL war
having failed to exploit this channel, it won't just be someone else's
fault.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ