RFI

Re: [RFI] Plasma TV's are killing our hobby

To: <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Plasma TV's are killing our hobby
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 10:25:12 -0500
> But as others have pointed out, plasma sets seem to be going away. I
> can't recall seeing one in the stores for years.

The larger issue is the continued proliferation of filterless SMPS devices.
While plasma sales continue to decline, devices using either internal or
external (e.g., wall wart) SMPS is increasing.  Add to that digital devices
used exclusively in "appliances" under Part 15 "are exempt from the specific
technical standards and other requirements contained in Part 15 although
these devices are still subject to the abatement provisions regarding
unintentional radiator interference:

"...(d) A digital device utilized exclusively in an appliance, e.g.,
microwave oven, dishwasher, clothes dryer, air conditioner (central or
window), etc."

In particular, it's the "etc." part that's always been distressing to me.
Now, more than ever, we need an overhaul of Sec. 15.103(d).  Once the ARRL
believes it has adequately addressed BPL on its list of interference
priorities, hopefully, they can join forces with other organizations sharing
similar concerns (e.g., NAB, SBE, NCTA) and launch a change campaign,
beginning with a Petition for Rulemaking filed with the FCC.  I know it will
be an ugly fight, but so is/was the fight for interference protection from
BPL technology.

Creating a flat panadapter baseline on all HF bands, free from SMPS
interference has been a year-long endeavor and the job really never ends.
Devices are constantly being changed in my home as well as neighboring
homes.  The person who posted that he finally moved to the country

Paul, W9AC