RFI

[RFI] SOLUTION - Keyboard Susceptibility (Sort of)

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] SOLUTION - Keyboard Susceptibility (Sort of)
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 18:41:18 -0700
I found a solution (or at least a clue to the solution) for my
keyboard RFI problem. In my shop I found an old AT style
keyboard laying in the corner (complete with the large AT
style DIN connector). I figured since it was free, I'd give it
a try. Well, as it turns out, it wasn't really free since I had to
go to ratshack and spend $12 on an AT to PS2 plug adapter.

This old clunker did the trick, however. It isn't susceptible to
RF even when I am banging away at 1500 watts RF output on
160 meters. Unfortunately, this thing is so old and clunky that
its very hard to type with (it has a very hard action and the
left control key bottoms out and stays there when you press
it - doh!).

Still it was worthwhile spending the $12 for the AT to PS2
adapter. Here's why: I took the old AT keyboard apart and
discovered immediately why it performs better in the presence
of RFI. The two flexible circuit sheets that form the array  of
membrane switches are laying right on top of a piece of steel
and the metal foil shield of the cable is grounded directly to
the this steel ground plane. In contrast, the cheap PS2 style
keyboard that folds at 300 watts has no ground plane under
the row and column membranes and the keyboard cable is not
shielded at all.

BTW, I found the part number of the allegedly RFI proof
keyboard that MFJ sells:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-551

That's one possible solution. The other possible solution is
to give a wireless keyboard a try. I'll likely go with one of these
two alternatives.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.