RFI

Re: [RFI] Computer speaker RFI

To: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Computer speaker RFI
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:12:44 -0700
Rob,

Make sure what your battling isn't a ground loop between your
computer and your rig. I have +12V rig here (Ten-Tec), and
its chassis potential seems to bounce a little with modulation
due to the high current in the power supply return (~20 amps
on voice peaks). This will drive audio components nuts if
you try feeding line level audio between the computer sound
card and the rig. Any connection between the computer
ground and the chassis of the rig results in big trouble.
I found audio isolation transformers to be a good solution.
Just a thought.