RFI

[RFI] Keyboard RF Susceptibility

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Keyboard RF Susceptibility
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:08:39 -0700
I am trying to clean up a few problems at my station. Right now
I can transmit on 160 meters at 1.5KW with the stereo turned
and the TV's on and I get no hint of RF interference. The video
display on my computer is clean, the internet doesn't get
blocked, and my mouse works fine. The one area where I do
have trouble is my computer keyboard. It won't recognize button
closures when I am transmitting until I drop my output power
down to around 300 watts. I've tried two (admittedly cheap)
keyboards and both of them exhibit this same RFI susceptibility
problem despite the fact that in both cases I had the cable
wrapped around a #31 ferrite core.

Any suggestions out there for a keyboard that might be more
RFI proof than the ones I've tried so far (one was an $8 Inland
brand and the other the OEM keyboard from my wife's
E-Machine)?

Thanks,