RFI

Re: [RFI] Autopsy on a Lutron dimmer

To: "xquercus ." <jeff@mossycup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Autopsy on a Lutron dimmer
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 11:18:44 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
Jeff,

Sorry, the main reason that dimmers meant for incandescent and halogen lamp
loads has nothing to with the waveform.  It has everything to do with the
driver electronics that are inside the CFL or LED bulb assembly packages.
There are various ICs made these days that provide one-chip controller and
driver solutions to the makers of these products.  SOME of the
controller/driver chips have a special input pin designated as a dimming
control.  From what I can tell, few CFLs have the ability, but most, if not
all, of the LEDs have the dimmer ability.  However, dimming control needs to
come from special dedicated dimmers - hopefully, that will change and existing
standard dimmers can be used.

I get many trade rags that advertise these controller chips.  I have no
interest in them other than to note their functionality.  I might add that none
(or very few) of these chips include RFI suppression - the end product maker is
responsible for designing that part into the various bulbs.

As for your particular Lutron dimmer, I'd say try it.  I have no idea as to
whether Lutron includes RFI control in all of their products (but see Charlie's
post).  If you do end up with a noisemaker, take it back and get one of the
DIVA series.

73, Dale
WA9ENA