RFI

Re: [RFI] Power line noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Power line noise
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:51:54 EST
My experience is that line noise does not drop off quickly at the lower
frequencies. I wonder if you are just hitting some resonant hot spot where the
 HF noise peaks because of the RFradiating properties of the power line.

You really do need to move your search up in frequency.  I find  that six
meters is a prime band for power line noise. Good for finding noise,  not so
good for operating there.

I like to do line noise chasing from my bicycle. (Yes, I know it's a  bit
too cold and white in Boston right now :>)  ).  I have an ICOM  IC-R10, with
a 2M 5/8 wave mounted on the metal rack in the rear. I program a  frequency
for each ham band, 160M through 432MHz, with AM detection.  Then  I can
easily switch between bands. I find that on 10 or 6 meters, I hear noise
several hundred yards away. Maybe a hundred yards away on 2 meters, and pretty
much just from one pole on 432.

I also carry a 5L 432 yagi that I can hook up when I find a suspicious
pole. Aiming that, I can with confidence pick out a bad pole.  Most, but  not
all, problems can be heard at 432.

I also use my FT-7800 in the car, again with an AM detected frequency on 2
meters and 432. I have some noise problems from the car on 2M, but a
driveby of a noise source on 2 meters usually shows up +/- 3 poles or so. On
432
it's +/- one pole.

I also have a W1TRC ultrasonic noise detector, which adds a whole extra
level of detection confidence.  But that's another story.

73  -  Jim  K8MR

In a message dated 2/8/2010 2:26:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
w6yn@juno.com writes:

Using a  higher frequency is helpful in pinpointing the problem. This noise
is very  wide spectrum.
I use 33cm am equipment for this purpose as HF signals  travel well along
power lines.

The possibility of a ground wire on  the  transformer pole will make the
RFI appear louder when sampled at  ground level near the pole.

Transformers are rarely the cause of RFI.  An internal arcing may not be
detected with an ultrasound  detector.
Transformers are often suspected because it's "the biggest thing  up there."

Any loose connection in close field proximity to the HV  circuits can cause
sparking between the metal parts.
Wooden construction  may shrink over time and just tightening the hardware
can solve this  problem.

Sometimes striking the affected pole (Watch your head! Junk  may fall.)
with a large hammer or mallet can change or even temporarily stop  the noise.

Good Luck!

73,  Don,   W6YN