RFI

Re: [RFI] Belkin PureAV™ Home Theater Battery Back up

To: doc@kd4e.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Belkin PureAV™ Home Theater Battery Back up
From: Brendan Minish <ei6iz.brendan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 23:02:09 +0000
On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 14:02 -0500, kd4e wrote:
> Good info.
>
> What I need is a good UPS that doesn't generate hash while
> recharging, maintenance charging, or inline use during a
> grid failure.

I have found the APC smart UPS series quite noisy at HF and MF.
They can be tamed with good line filtering (line and protected sides)
and appropriate bonding. The smart ups series are line interactive and
are great units (from an IT managers perspective) but I have not found
them particularly clean from a radio users perspective.

I also have an APC back UPS on the shack PC. its fine in standby but
somewhat noisy when there's a power failure. They are adequate units for
singe PC type loads.
That works for me because it's only role is to keep the PC running long
enough for a clean shut-down should the power fail.
My Radios all run off a pair of 110AH deep cycle lead acid batteries
that are float charged by a clean 23A Switch mode power supply (SEC 1223
with some extra filtering fitted)

Brendan EI6IZ