RFI

Re: [RFI] Auto quieting

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Auto quieting
From: Michael Germino <ad6aa@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 15:13:52 -0700
I did everything that Jim recommended and no problems.  I also avoided running
all cable and coax along the vehicle wiring and crossed all wiring at right
angles.

Don't be afraid to oversize your power cables to the battery.

Some new vehicles have a current sensor in the battery ground lead and your
negative cable will need to be connected at the engine block (where your
battery connects)  for your computer to know all current draw from the battery.

Mike

73, AD6AA

From:"Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date:Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 12:19 AM

On Sat,10/3/2015 6:28 PM, Michael Coslo wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas?

>From an RFI/EMC point of view, I strongly recommend floating the radio
from the vehicle frame, powering it with a twisted pair of big copper
straight from the battery to the radio, with the only connection to the
chassis being the coax shield at the antenna. Even better, add a high
quality RF capacitor between the shield and the chassis. What this does
is cause everything above low audio frequencies to return on the return
side of the DC pair rather than on the chassis/frame.

In addition, I would also put SERIOUS multi-turn ferrite chokes on that
DC cable near the battery, and also on the coax where it feed the antenna.

Fundamental principle -- you want the chassis/frame of the vehicle to be
a counterpoise for the antenna, but you don't want it to carry DC or AC
current, and you don't want any of the wiring you have added to be a
receiving antenna for the RF you are transmitting, nor to radiate the
noise on the chassis or other wiring.

73, Jim K9YC