RFI

Re: [RFI] Cell Phone Charger Duracell made in China

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Cell Phone Charger Duracell made in China
From: "Battles,Richard" <Battles.Richard@lee.k12.al.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:26:26 -0600
I had a neighbor that had a no name brand cell phone charger that his son's
girlfriend would bring with her when she would visit the home.  terrible noise
on 40 meters.  traced it with my portable sony short wave receiver to their
home across the street and down one house.  the neighbor was very helpfull by
cutting the power ac breakers one at time till we found the breaker that we
needed.  i made some filters with small corcom 5 amp emi/rfi filters in small
plastic box for projects with heavy duty two wire extension cords by cutting
the plug in about 2 feet from the end and drilling holes in the box, soldering
the two wires to the filter, making sure that the polarity was correct and
sealing the ends with silicon.  i plug the two wire charger in the plug of the
cord and no noise at all.  i have made several of these filters with one
corcom, two corcom, three corcom.  fix my son's no name brand dell laptop
charger that was causing rfi on 160, 80, 40.  it is a two wire plug.
 if you do not filter the ground on a three conductor the rfi will flow around
the filter on the ground,  that is were i use a ft-240-31, or ft-240-43, or
ft-240-77 to wind all three conductors.

richard
WB4BYQ
http://atnm.mcars.us/HomeBrew/WB4BYQ/CommonModeChokes/