RFI

Re: [RFI] Snow and Power Lines

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Snow and Power Lines
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:00:05 EST

In a message dated 2/16/2010 9:48:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
n0tt1@juno.com writes:

I have to ask...Are you *sure* the noise you hear isn't just
precipitation static?
=================

Yes, I'm sure.  On occasion, I get the real  snow static, a white noise
effect from any direction.  What I am talking  about has classic line noise
sound, and definite directional characteristics  (with a 17L 2m beam, i.e. a
sharp pattern), and I can hear some of it on 432MHz  while driving by poles. I
can hear lots of it on 2M while driving, but right now  it is so widespread
there it's hard to pinpoint.

I would think that if it IS  powerline noise when it rains, that
there is one or more insulators that are  breaking down
when they get wet....something that should be  addressed.

I don't notice the problem with rain. Of course then things are warmer,
and probably there is more water content than with a relatively dry snow like
we've been getting here in Cleveland for the last forever.

73   -  Jim   K8MR