RFI

Re: [RFI] Unknown Signal

To: "RFI@contesting.com" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Unknown Signal
From: "Jim Brown" <jimbrown.enteract@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 11:25:52 -0600
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 11:01:13 -0500, Pete Smith wrote:

>I'm hearing it here in eastern WV, near DC.

In Chicago I'm hearing what could be one signal with sidebands or
multiple signals. It's moderately unstable (or has FM-like components)
and sounds a lot like many signals that I hear scattered around the ham
bands. It is clearly coming in on the antenna, and is considerably
stronger on my dipole at 50 ft than on my vertical  at 20 ft.  No beam
here.  There is at least one signal or component of it that is being
keyed on and off.

One of the strongest signals I hear is a pair at 14.030 and 14.031 MHz.
They are pretty  constant carriers, and I strongly suspect they are
local -- they are there regardless of band conditions.  About S6 on a
dipole at 50 ft.  As I'm listening to it now, the carriers were just
interrupted by a couple of short  bursts (1-2 seconds) of broadband
noise.

During the 160 contest this weekend, I observed a broadband hunk of
trash (no carrier, just non-random noise) that is roughly 4 kHz wide
centered near 1838.  It is also certainly ground wave.

Jim K9YC