RFI

Re: [RFI] lighting rfi

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] lighting rfi
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:26:30 -0600
On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 14:56:06 -0500, Rick Saeger wrote:

>Any advice on how to eliminate the problem and an approach to the
>neighbor would be appreciated.

It is likely that much of the noise is radiated by wires close to
the source. Electronic ballasts have become quite popular, because
they are relatively energy-efficient, and may be the source of the
noise. Ferrite chokes can be a good, non-invasive fix. See the
applications note on my website, paying attention to the data for
various types of ferrites, and how to interpret the data.

Remember that power leads and "ground" leads will radiate, so don't
forget to use suitable suppression on them. If the owner will allow
you to do so, I would take a receiver (like a talkie with wideband
receive) and poke around the site listening for which wires seem to
be the hottest, and put chokes on them. Remember that current flows
in loops, and there are several potential loops in the system in
question. To kill the trash, you need to break (or increase the Z)
of each loop. One loop is the drive to the lamp, another is the
mains power, another is bypass caps taking trash to "ground," and
another may be the internal wiring of the power supply. The latter
may be the toughest to kill, but if it is the shortest, it may be
the least problematic.

Jim Brown  K9YC
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish