RFI

Re: [RFI] Fw: cell phone interference on airplanes

To: "'Jim P'" <jvpoll@dallas.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fw: cell phone interference on airplanes
From: "Ed -K0iL" <eedwards@tconl.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 20:59:26 -0600
Jim,

You're getting very Pedantic again.  :-)

I think everything you say is probably correct, but mostly applies to
Metropolitan areas with short towers located close together, not in rural
areas with taller towers farther apart.  And the plane was flying very, very
low as well.  As Mr. Swenson pointed out, it would depend on the system's
rural design as to how it might work or not work.  Some cell phones were
shown as inoperable by the "writers" while verified accounts of relatives
calling a cell phone on the plane and getting thru were shown that way as
well.  They showed the calls as very short calls ending abruptly, which all
agrees with what you say below.  Mark Bingham's mom got thru to him only to
lose him less than a minute later.  Then she left a chilling message on his
phone mail telling him to take over the plane if at all possible.  This
message was played on two of the documentaries.

I'm not going to call the victims' relatives a bunch of liars.  They all
acted heroic that day.  But you go right ahead because it really doesn't
matter, does it?

From: "Ed -K0iL"

> On the three docu-dramas/documentaries I've seen (History Channel, A&E
> Network, and Discovery Channel) showed at least two passengers who used
> their cell phones at various times: Tom Burnett and Mark Bingham.  Tom's
> wife and Mark's mother both mentioned talking to them on their cell
phones.
> Although one program shows Mark's initial call was on the GTE phone while
> the other shows him on a cell phone.  So there is some conflicting info.
>
> There were one or two others shown using or trying to use cell phones as
> well.  And the GTE phones were also shown being used at different times by
> various passengers, but according to one of the programs, only 8 GTE
phones
> could be used at a time so many of the others tried to use their cell
> phones.
>
> So there are, in fact, accounts of cell phones being used confirmed by
> relatives of the victims.  They apparently worked intermittantly so the
GTE