RFI

Re: [RFI] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines

To: wi5a@sbcglobal.net, RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines
From: "Missouri Guy, N0TT" <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 00:06:17 +0000
Larry,

You are almost guaranteed to have noise if you intend to operate
close to a HV transmission line.  I've never passed under a RF
quiet HV line except one in northern Quebec that was carrying
HV DC!

The only reason I can think of RE: quieter than "residential"
lines is that the HV cross-country poles/insulators are more
widely spaced and have no customer "taps" on the line.  That
said, there is no guarantee that sometime in the future you won't
have devastating noise from a HV line that may be RF quiet
now....and such noise may take months to get repaired.

Keep looking for a more ham-friendly environment.

My 2-cents worth.  :)

73,
Charlie,  N0TT