RFI

Re: [RFI] I. C. E. products question

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] I. C. E. products question
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:42:50 -0800
I'm a member of NCCC, the Northern California Contest Club. A question was
recently asked on our reflector about the merits of various BPF filter
sets. ICE RF bandpass filters are fairly well regarded -- not nearly as
good as the W3NQN filters, but better than Dunestar. The W3NQN filters are
significantly better design (more poles), and thus more expensive. I own
seven ICE filters. Two were bought at hamfests, the others direct. QC,
however, is not so good. Of those bought direct, three were out of
alignment and needed to be returned for retuning (as measured on my HP
gear). Factory service was good, fast, and courteous.

The ICE filters are 150 watt filters. If you run more power through them,
and/or if you run them with a serious mismatch, you are VERY likely to fry
some capacitors. Most of the better power amps will hit full power with 50
watts drive. These filters between the radio and the amp should hold up
just fine. According to reports, the NQN filters have something on the
order of 20 dB more attenuation. Ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer
choice.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC