RFI

Re: [RFI] flourescent light

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] flourescent light
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:59:15 -0800
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:36:07 -0800 (PST), mark zavatsky wrote:

>y landlord has a light he switches on daily that wipes
>me out and no matter how I position the Loop (I even added
>a 100ft of coax and put it out in the woods and still had
>the hash!)

As others have correctly noted, this noise is being radiated by
the power wiring and picked up by your antenna. The ONLY place to
kill this noise is AT THE SOURCE, either by replacing the noise
generator with a clean power supply or by a serious AC line filter
right at the terminals of the noise generator. You didn't say what
kind of lighting it is, but I'm assuming low voltage lighting with
some sort of switching power supply that the lighting suppliers
call an "electronic transformer."

Fluorescent lighting also can put out a lot of trash, much of
which can be killed with AC line filters, but the tubes (and high
voltage wiring to the tubes) also radiate directly.

In either case, you can use commercial line filters or roll your
own based on advice in my RFI tutorial to kill what's on the power
line. To kill radiation from the fixtures, you must shield them.
Think copper screening. :)

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC