RFI

Re: [RFI] CFL Bulbs that are OK!

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFL Bulbs that are OK!
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 10:08:53 EST
I have two outdoor lights by my garage, located under an overhang but
otherwise with just a decorative glass enclosure, not well sealed. It's on a
motion sensor, so it does get cycled on by passing deer.  With the timer in
the sensor, it does not get rapid cycling.

For several years I've had a generic CFL in one, an incadescent bulb in the
 other.

The CFL fires up in Cleveland winter weather, though in cold  weather it
takes a few minutes to come up to full  brightness. I believe I've had one CFL
fail in this location, as well as several  of the incadescent ones.

73  -   Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 12/2/2010 9:51:30 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
deswynar@xplornet.ca writes:

Hi  Guys,

How have you found CFLs to behave in outdoor  applications...?

Here in The Great White North it's not uncommon to  have sub-zero
(Fahrenheit
scale) temperatures in the long, cold winter  months. I have porch lamps &
driveway lamps whose only protection from  the elements are decorative glass
enclosures.

Will these things  fire-up when the thermometer dips, or will we be left
here---literally--in  the cold & dark...?

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI -  VE3XZ