RFI

Re: [RFI] The FCC's Class B Standards

To: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] The FCC's Class B Standards
From: "Dave Cole (NK7Z)" <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 11:32:57 -0700
One thing that both amazed and frightened me was when the ARRL provided the FCC an airtight case regarding Home Depot, (I believe), selling Part 18 compliant lights to home users, and nothing happened...

That to me is scary as hell with regards to the future of enforcement...

73s and thanks,
Dave
NK7Z
https://www.nk7z.net

On 03/21/2018 08:32 AM, David Eckhardt wrote:
FCC no longer has the resources or drive tigntning or even enforce the present rules.  OET has been gutted.  FCC is nothing but a bunch of paper pushers and lawyers at this point.  Don't you wish we could designate our tax monies to specific purposes?  I'd certainly volunteer what I pay to bolster OET!  Ever since Cangress slapped their hands for dragging their feet on making widely available Internet, its been a downhill slide.  Then ARRL took them to court over the bogus BPL measurements they made.

Dave - WØLEV

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 6:54 AM, Dave Cole (NK7Z) <dave@nk7z.net <mailto:dave@nk7z.net>> wrote:

    I don't know why, but that bothers me, and it seems like a lessening
    of the rules, as opposed to what I think should be a tightening of
    the rules...

    73s and thanks,
    Dave
    NK7Z
    https://www.nk7z.net

    On 03/20/2018 07:45 PM, David Eckhardt wrote:

        Yep.  Correct.  Only in the User's Manual.

        On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 1:10 AM, Dave Cole (NK7Z) <dave@nk7z.net
        <mailto:dave@nk7z.net> <mailto:dave@nk7z.net
        <mailto:dave@nk7z.net>>> wrote:

             Thanks for the info Dave...  I saw, or heard someplace that
        the FCC
             no longer requires a mark on the device, but just in the
        book...     Have you heard anything about this?  I can't
        remember where I heard it.

             73s and thanks,
             Dave
             NK7Z
        https://www.nk7z.net

             On 03/20/2018 01:25 PM, David Eckhardt wrote:

                 Only the FCC logo is REQUIRED to be on the device if it
        is Class
                 B, home
                 and small office.  The statement and other regulatory
                 information, more
        times than not, is contained in the 'User's Manual'. Most have a
                 regulatory section devoted to this kind of stuff.  If
        there is
                 no FCC logo
                 on the product, assume it is either Class A
        (Industrial) or the
                 supplier
                 doesn't know much about the regulatory world and required
                 markings (no
                 attehtion to EMC/RFI).  This is based on some 30 years
        of doing
                 EMC/RFI for
                 a living.  What I write is from experience.  When we
        had a real
                 FCC, things
                 were very different!!!!

                 If it is from China or the PacRim, just assume it has
        not been
                 tested nor
                 any attention paid to EMC/RFI.  I have read
                 many,.....many,.....bogus
                 'reports' on Chinese products, many of which are
        assembled from
                 other
                 products and piece mealed from other reports and really
        don't
                 even apply.
        I've also experiencef many, . . . . many, .  . . . . instances
                 of false
                 labeling from China.

                 Bottom line:  1)  When you shop for something, take a
        battery
                 operated
                 radio with you and request a test of the item.
                                      2)  It's hard to find otherwise,
        but don't
                 buy if the
                 electronics or products are 'Made in China".
                                      3)  Don't buy if in the
        inttruction manual
                 or posted on
        the product, "Made of Foreign and Domestic Parts". That's a
                                           license for Chinese switchers
        with,
                 again, no
                 attentioin paid to EMC/RFI.

                 However, the biggies like Apple and the like know the
        game and
                 are usually
                 to be trusted (except for their wall warts).

                 I realize all this reads rather negative, but its
        reality these
                 days!  Just
                 believe me ! ! !

                 Dave - WØLEV

                 On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 7:40 PM, Leonard Halvorsen
                 <lhalvors@pppl.gov <mailto:lhalvors@pppl.gov>
        <mailto:lhalvors@pppl.gov <mailto:lhalvors@pppl.gov>>>
                 wrote:

                     Has everyone come to the same conclusion...
                     "*...**IF* you can find them." ???

                     [RFI] LED Bulb noise Eleta E12

                     I read a while ago that to avoid, or at least
        mitigate to
                     great extent,
                     interference, an RF noise source must meet FCC
        standards for
                     a "Class B"
                     device. What I read stated it was defined in Part
        17 (it
                     seems to be Part
                     15 instead; possibly a typo) of the FCC rules, but
        I found
                     many references
                     to it in this *official* 120-page pdf document
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=
        <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=>
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=
        <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=>>
0ahUKEwjgprG4lLPZAhVHulMKHQF5AQQQFggoMAA&url=https%3A%2F%
        2Fwww.gpo.gov <http://2Fwww.gpo.gov>
<http://2Fwww.gpo.gov>%2Ffdsys%2Fpkg%2FCFR-2009-title47-vol1%2Fpdf% 2FCFR-2009-title47-vol1-part15.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1Op9mrNNvD_YdVp_5mAmKU>.
                     This passage on page 23 states what manufacturers
        must put
                     on such
                     devices..

                     (b) For a Class B digital device or peripheral,
                     the instructions furnished the
                     user shall include the following or
                     similar statement, placed in a prominent
                     location in the text of the manual:

                     NOTE: This equipment has been tested and
                     found to comply with the limits for a Class
                     B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the
                     FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide
                     reasonable protection against harmful
                     interference in a residential installation.
                     This equipment generates, uses and can radiate
                     radio frequency energy and, if not installed
                     and used in accordance with the instructions,
                     may cause harmful interference
                     to radio communications. However, there is
                     no guarantee that interference will not occur
                     in a particular installation. If this equipment
                     does cause harmful interference to
                     radio or television reception, which can be
                     determined by turning the equipment off and
                     on, the user is encouraged to try to correct
                     the interference by one or more of the following
                     measures:
                     —Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
                     —Increase the separation between the equipment
                     and receiver.
                     —Connect the equipment into an outlet on a
                     circuit different from that to which the receiver
                     is connected.
                     —Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/
                     TV technician for help.

                     I tried to locate devices that adhered to this at
        places
                     like Home Depot
                     and Lowes, but was unsuccessful.

                     This 7-page pdf document
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=
        <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=>
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=
        <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=>>
0ahUKEwjSsf7jl7PZAhWStlkKHQtWCB0QFggyMAA&url=https%3A%2F%
        2Fwww.cableorganizer.com <http://2Fwww.cableorganizer.com>
                     <http://2Fwww.cableorganizer.com
        <http://2Fwww.cableorganizer.com>>%2Fimages%2Fkensington%
2Fmicrosaver-alarm-lock%2FFCC-rules.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2kXOZ71VpqTqByfN3bb6HO>
                         attempts to abbreviate and interpret the
        legalese above.
                     In it is this
                     passage on page two...

                     Two levels of radiation and conducted emissions
        limits for
                     unintentional
                     radiators are specified in FCC Part 15 Subpart B.

                     The two levels are Class A digital devices, the
        higher less
                     strict limits,
                     and Class B digital devices, the lower more strict
        limits.

                     Manufacturers are encouraged to meet the Class B
        digital
                     device limits.

                     So, *the key* seems to be to find devices that meet
        "Class
                     B" standards ...
                     *IF* you can find them.
                     If they are made  someplace in the Far East, that is
                     probably impossible.
                     Compliance costs are probably too high, and most people
                     probably don't
                     care.
                     And if you can find them, they are probably expensive.

-- *Dave - WØLEV
        *
        */Just Let Darwin Work/*

*Dave - WØLEV