RFI

Re: [RFI] flourescent light

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] flourescent light
From: Wes Stewart <n7ws@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:36:36 -0800 (PST)
From: mark zavatsky <mzav65sw@yahoo.com>

 I live in a studio attached to a house above a garage
and use a wellbrook 1530 loop which I feel is a awesome
antenna especially used on a rotor I can null out alot
of stuff since in my situation I cannot put up a wire.
 My landlord has a light he switches on daily that wipes
me out and no matter how I position the Loop (I even added
a 100ft of coax and put it out in the woods and still had
the hash!) I wrapped the coax in ferrite donuts but it
didn,t help, so what I,m deducting from this is maybe
it is coming from the mains AC , is that
 likely? would
a ICE AC line filter or something like that help? has anyone
had a similar problem? I can kill some of it with my
JPS Noise cancellar but you have to keep adjusting it
alot which is a bummer, tks for any info 73,s
Mark Zavatsky LI,NY  K1ZZZ ex: KA1CWK,HL9WK,N1MDI

Hardly enough info to make good judgments from, however, you might consider
offering to buy him something else that might be electrically quieter.

In that case you need to be careful to actually test the replacement before the
installation.

For example, a number of years ago after I built my garage/workshop I decided
to install some four-tube fluorescent fixtures

#yiv1003775375 .  I went to the orange bigbox store and bought some
better-than-shop-grade Lithonia fixtures and installed them.

The details have faded a bit with time, but in a nutshell, the things were
prodigious generators of rfi; so bad that it wiped out some off-the-air TV.

Upon some examination of the ballasts in these things I saw that they were
labeled something like (paraphrasing), "For Industrial Use Only, not for
residential use."  After a bit of research on the ballast manufacturer's
website I discovered that they made two versions, only one of which met FCC
requirements for emission limits. (Why the FCC allows noise generators to be
installed in the business next door while requiring quiet fixtures in a
residence is a mystery.)

So I went back to the store and talked to a manager about the problem.  At
first he took the position that there was nothing he could or would do, other
than allow me to return them.  I countered with the fact that I had done a lot
of work running conduit and wiring these into my shop and that wasn't an option.

I also remarked that on the outside of the building, in great big letters, it
said, "HOME" Depot.  I asked how it was possible to operate a store with "home"
in the name and then sell fixtures that weren't approved for residential
applications.

He thought a minute and asked, "Do you have the part number for the ones you
need?"

We made a deal, he would special order the new ballasts and I would do the
replacing.  I know that it cost the store more money for the ballasts than I
paid for the fixtures in the first place, but that wasn't my problem.  They
shouldn't have sold them in the first place.

Wes Stewart, N7WS

End of RFI Digest, Vol 83, Issue 14