RFI

[RFI] Tracking down external noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Tracking down external noise
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:41:21 -0500
Thanks to everyone who helped me pin things down, I think I may have found
it.  The constant frying sound was particularly bad today on 28 MHz, still
seeming to come from the pole where my previous problems had been.  I went
out there with my portable radio, then switched to 3.5 MHz and walked down
the line southward.  As I got to the next pole, the last one before the
line turns westward, it rose to a really strong peak.  Followed it about
500 feet further, and that pole definitely appears to have the greatest
intensity at 3.5 MHz.

Anyhow, the only thing of interest up on that pole is a lightning arrestor.
 Tomorrow I will call my power company contact and ask them to come out and
take a look, but I have a hunch it is the source of at least some of the
problem.

Thanks again!

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!