RFI

Re: [RFI] HF DF Antenna recommendations

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] HF DF Antenna recommendations
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 06:02:36 -0500 (EST)
Frank,

I found an EMCO loop on ebay some years ago, a shielded passive untuned loop
that covers about 20Hz - 5 MHz. Realistically, one could build a similar
passive loop for the 2-30MHz range in the same size, varying only the number of
turns and have a very usable untuned DF setup. But its almost 3 feet across. A
smaller design on a monopod/tripod sounds usable. The 6511 seemed to give
decent nulls through 40, but at the time I only used it for 80. (The AT&T modem
affair.)  I installed it on a tri-magnet mount and since the Bug Catcher mount
was on the roof, the loop went on the hood; I turned the whole car for a null.
Think of it as a giant gunsight along the signal vector.  A real "poynting"
vector.

You've been doing this a long time, so you know the problems trying to DF
powerline noise; even when I got to a CW source I had to distinguish between RF
conducted elsewhere and the actual emitter; one was in a housing development
but the strongest radiator was a resonant advertising post/mast across the
street. It turned out the 6511 did not actually help much; putting up the
Bugcatcher got me close, then walking the block with a handheld receiver and
untuned loop nailed it.

I may have mentioned that "a funny thing  happened on my way to the modem" one
Sunday; people would run out of their homes and into their back yards as I
approached. Turns out it was Super Bowl Sunday; they thought I was from the
Cable Company and were hurrying to remove evidence of unpaid connections.

Back in the 80's I set myself to track down an arcing source in North Andover
MA; I drove the town with my HF mobile antenna, then switched to a 2 meter
beam, then a 440 beam and found the problem atop a pole at the local airport.
When I reported that to the airport they got action fast.  But since 9/11 I'd
likely be arrested -- or shot.

Cortland
KA5S