RFI

[RFI] Horizonal Sweep Noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Horizonal Sweep Noise
From: Kris Mraz, N5KM" <mraz@aud.alcatel.com (Kris Mraz, N5KM)
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 16:09:02 -0500
John K7FD said:

> I put core mix #77 on ALL leads coming from the tv set, i.e.,
> the phone line, power cord, audio/visual cables to the WebTV
> device and the tv cable line. I also put an AC line filter on
> his tv and put a radio shack phone interference filter on the
> phone line.
>
> This cured the problem 100% and all tv harmonic noise has been
> eliminated from this neighbor. I do have another neighbor causing
> similar interference but only occasionally...so I'm not willing to
> invest any money in that one yet!

I'm sorry but the cynic is coming out in me. Why is it that we hams
have to spend money to fix the neighbor's appliances we interfere with
AND we have to spend money to fix the neighbor's appliances that
interfere with US? We've all heard stories, or had first hand
experiences, about neighbors who have made a ham's life miserable
with interference complaints to the FCC, possibly having quiet hours
imposed on him. Isn't "what's good for the goose good for the gander"?
I think the neighbor should turn off his TV when we're on the air.
As a minimum the neighbor should be spending HIS money to get his
interfering TV fixed. Not the other way around.

As you can tell I've had my share of complaints, the least of which
was being accused of making the neighbor's windows vibrate! (It was
his wife's dryer).

73
Kris N5KM
mailto:mraz@aud.alcatel.com