RFI

[RFI] Power Line RFI in Corn Country - UPDATE

To: "Wes Attaway \(N5WA\)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>, "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Power Line RFI in Corn Country - UPDATE
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:27:45 -0600
Wes, Jim, Dick, Mike, Ash, and Everyone Who Responded:

Alliant Energy may have set a speed record in addressing my RFI complaint
(original message left attached below for reference).  The last time I had
contact directly with Alliant was that call from Line Engineer Mike on
Friday afternoon, January 15th.  I did some HF operating the following
weekend (Jan. 16 & 17) and did notice greatly reduced buzz saw noise.  On
Wednesday, Jan. 20th, my phone again rang, but this time the caller was an
engineer with ITC Midwest, and his name was Bill Braden.  Mr. Braden was
calling to see if the noise problem had indeed abated.  Luckily, I had
operated the prior evening and found essentially no noise present on either
160m or 75m.

Mr. Braden was pleased to hear of my quiet status.  He did explain that
what had been found was a broken wire to a lightning arrestor at the top of
a pole. The wire broke due to mechanical action of temperature changes,
vibration, and wind.  Since ITC operates the 34.5 kV lines trhat are on the
upper portion of the subject poles, they had to be involved.  Obviously,
Alliant had contacted ITC on my behalf (as promised) and the fix was made.
I made a point to express my appreciation to Mr. Braden for ITC's help in
the matter.  He said he would make special note of my remarks, since he
often got something less encouraging.

I certainly enjoyed my operation on 75m Thursday night.  Wow - S-0 noise,
except for lightning crashes in 4-land.  Then along came our wonderful Iowa
weather mix of rain, fog, sleet, and freezing drizzle, all of which hit
Friday, going into Saturday.  Well, another "buzz saw" is screaming away!
The good news is that it is not as strong as the one that was just fixed,
and it is in a different direction.  It is also intermittant.  Thus, I've
used Wes' comments as the baseline for my reply, since it is now likely
that I'll have to employ other tricks (as discussed in various postings on
this reflector) to try to define the new source's location.

The old source's sole advantage was that it was so bad that my simple
technique of using the AM broadcast radio in my vehicle was sufficient to
locate it quite accurately.  Given my time limitations, I may be living
with the new buzz saw for awhile.  I have no intention of asking Alliant to
go off on another search without being able to provide some definite
direction and location information.  In any event, I can say for a fact
that this new noise source is not in the same direction or area as the
first one.

Again, thanks to all for your comments and interest.  I'll post an update
on this RFI hunt when progress is made.  I must commend both Alliant Energy
and ITC Midwest for their very prompt attention to my request and can only
hope that anyone else having a similar problem gets similar treatment.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

<larry.wacha@yahoo.com>; Ron B. NN0L <nn0l@q.com>
> Date: 1/16/2010 10:13:13
> Subject: RE: [RFI] Power Line RFI in Corn Country
>
> You could do some further searching (if you want the practice) by checking
> the noise at higher frequencies.  Generally, the closer you get to the
> source the higher you can go in frequency and still hear the noise.  The
> power company will probably do this, but you might have fun trying it
> yourself.

> 1138 Waters Edge Circle - Shreveport, LA 71106
>     318-797-4972 (office) - 318-393-3289 (cell)
>         Computer Consulting and Forensics
> -------------- EnCase Certified Examiner ---------------

S0
> to S3, max.  The noise level would go up to about S6 or S7 in the fall
when
> the grain dryers are running (probably from their ignition systems).
There