RFI

[RFI] Appliance interference and approvals (was Sears battery charger mo

To: "RFI@contesting.com" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Appliance interference and approvals (was Sears battery charger model #200.71222)
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 20:57:06 -0400
There are no FCC *emission requirements* for equipment used in appliances.

Section 15.103 Exempted devices.
The following devices are subject only to the general conditions of
operation in Sections 15.5 and
15.29 and are exempt from the specific technical standards and other
requirements contained in this Part.
The operator of the exempted device shall be required to stop operating the
device upon a finding by the
Commission or its representative that the device is causing harmful
interference. Operation shall not
resume until the condition causing the harmful interference has been
corrected. Although not mandatory,
it is strongly recommended that the manufacturer of an exempted device
endeavor to have the device
meet the specific technical standards in this Part.

(a) A digital device utilized exclusively in any transportation vehicle
including motor vehicles
and aircraft.
(b) A digital device used exclusively as an electronic control or power
system utilized by a
public utility or in an industrial plant. The term public utility includes
equipment only to the extent that it
is in a dedicated building or large room owned or leased by the utility and
does not extend to equipment
installed in a subscriber's facility.
(c) A digital device used exclusively as industrial, commercial, or medical
test equipment.
(d) A digital device utilized exclusively in an appliance, e.g., microwave
oven, dishwasher,
clothes dryer, air conditioner (central or window), etc.
(i) Responsible parties should note that equipment containing more than one
device is not
exempt from the technical standards in this Part unless all of the devices
in the equipment meet the
criteria for exemption. If only one of the included devices qualifies for
exemption, the remainder of the
equipment must comply with any applicable regulations. If a device performs
more than one function and
all of those functions do not meet the criteria for exemption, the device
does not qualify for inclusion
under the exemptions.
END QUOTE

Just noticed Dep't: The thermostats may not be exempt as they are not IN an
appliance. Dunno if anyone has tried this approach.

Anyway, they ALL have to abide by 15.5:
(b) Operation of an intentional, unintentional, or incidental radiator is
subject to the conditions
that no harmful interference is caused and that interference must be
accepted that may be caused by the
operation of an authorized radio station, by another intentional or
unintentional radiator, by industrial,
scientific and medical (ISM) equipment, or by an incidental radiator.
(c) The operator of a radio frequency device shall be required to cease
operating the device upon
notification by a Commission representative that the device is causing
harmful interference. Operation
shall not resume until the condition causing the harmful interference has
been corrected.

And 15.29:
(b) The owner or operator of a radio frequency device subject to this Part
shall promptly furnish
to the Commission or its representative such information as may be
requested concerning the operation of
the radio frequency device.

Since these interfere with AM broadcast reception, perhaps complaining to
the STATIONS might get FCC action where our gripes might not.

Cortland
KA5S

told me,  they don't  need  FCC approvals  because it has  a Canadian rating