RFI

Re: [RFI] Low pass filter opinions

To: "John Geiger" <aa5jg@fidmail.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Low pass filter opinions
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 18:37:06 -0600
John,

Jim Brown, K9YC, answered your first question very well.  Again, I repeat,
using a LPF in your situation will NOT help the RFI problem.  The filters
within the rig (assuming a modern solid state rig) have already reduced the
out-of-band spurs and harmonics to a milliwatt, or less!  Put your efforts
elsewhere.

As for the second issue, you have already answered that question yourself.
The DVD player was coming into your set via the direct IN jacks - NOT the
tuner.  That should tell you that the problem, is in fact, an RF problem
with the tuner.  The good news is that your TV itself is apparently not
affected by the RF fields.  Get your G5RV further away from your TV set or
the TV antenna (if you are using one).  If you have cable or satellite,
check those cable connections (again) to make certain that they are snug
and use an ohmmeter to verify shield continuity at each Type F connector.
Note that it is very easy to have a bad (open) connection to the cable
shield when crimping on those F connector ferrules.

I doubt this will help, but if you are absolutely hung up on filtering some
RF, get a decent HIGH pass filter and install it right at the input to the
TV set tuner.  Be sure to get one in a metal, not plastic, case.  Maybe it
will sufficiently attenuate the HF RF that is coming into the set via the
coax center conductor.  If you have common mode coupled RF on the cable
shield, then the HPF will not help and you need to see K9YC's web site for
info on common mode choke materials to add over the TV coax cable.  Note
that you must use materials that are effective at HF - not the often-used
Type 43 materals that work best for VHF.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

G5RV
> > so
> > that it is away from the TV sets (yours and your neighbor's) as far as
> > possible.  If you can't move it, you have 2 choices (other than QRT, of
> > course):  1, reduce xmit power to below the "threshold of pain" for the
> > TVs; 2, apply serious RFI control measures to all affected TV sets
(yours
> > and the neighbor's) in accordance with info from K9YC (see his related
> > postings and web site).  Read and heed his advice.  Also, check all of
> > those TVcable connections to make certain there are no poorly connected
> > shields and that all fittings are snugged tight.
> >
> > Sorry, probably not what you wanted to see but them's the facts.  Bottom
> > line:  you MUST get the RF levels from your antenna below the
interference
> > threshold for the various TVs (reduce xmit power and/or move ham
antenna),
> > or, lacking that, you must raise the theshold of the TVs by applying RFI
> > engineering techniques and materials.
> >
> > 73, Dale
> > WA9ENA
> > Sr EMC Engineer