RFI

Re: [RFI] LCD TV wipes out AM BC band - UPDATE Report

To: "Ken Winterling" <wa2lbi@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] LCD TV wipes out AM BC band - UPDATE Report
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:25:09 -0600
Ken,

Thanks again for more info and details.  OK, your set is used exclusively as a
monitor.  Point noted.

After my post below, I went and grabbed my other working portable AM BC band
radio: my 1958 (yes!) Motorola 6 transistor set with ferrite bar antenna, 4"
speaker, and power from 6 "C" cells.  (All of my true cheapie sets have either
died or been scrapped.  This set cost a whopping $40 back when I was a kid and
was the first on my block with one of these!)  Yes, it was made in Chicago,
USA, has plug-in transistors, and all of them are 2N, 2-digit germanium.  I use
the set daily and it also has never been in the computer room.

My test:  Check for presence of the same noise I heard yesterday, cycle the
Toshiba on and off several times to verify it as the source, test with the
computer on and functioning, then again with the computer fully off, and do "RF
sniffing" on cords and cables using the radio as the sniffer.  I did not
disconnect the antenna connection to the HDTV.  Here are the results:

1.  For one thing, this test proved how very "hot" the Super Radio III is
compared to "standard" sets.  As I reported in my first posting, the Super
Radio was interfered with to a distance of at 10 to 15 feet.  The Motorola did
not detect the noise until I had it within 2 to 3 feet of the TV set.

2.  Cycling power to the TV still proved that it was the source of the noise.
Operation of the computer (on or off mode) did NOT affect the noise level or
characteristics.  Again, the computer is connected via the SVGA port of the
Toshiba.

3.  The noise level on the Motorola was equal to that heard on the Super Radio
when I placed the Mototola approximately 6 inches in front of the diplay
screen.  When I was using the Super Radio yesterday, it was on my lap at a
distance of about 2 to 2.5 feet from the front of the display screen.

4.  The radiated noise level did not change with the "audio out" cables
disconnected from the set.  With the cables connected. I could detect the hash
noise all along the cables (which are 6 feet long) and it was present at the
input of the audio amp that I use to drive a set of book shelf-size speakers.
(The audio amplifier is totally linear in design - no switching power supply.)
I held the radio about 3 to 4 inches away from the audio cable when "sniffing".

5.  The sounds heard from the Motorola's speaker were the same as I heard
yesterday, including the start-up sweep.

6.  Unlike yesterday, I did tune the Motorola radio across the entire AM BC
band and found that the noise level falls off a bit above roughly 1100 kHz, but
never dies out completely.  I can not say if what I am hearing is at the
fundamental frequency of the source, or is from low order harmonics.  More
analysis would be needed, and I don't have time for that right now.

So, Ken, you have been very helpful and I appreciate your feedback comments.
If you have time, I sure would like to know what happens if you place your
AM/FM set (in the AM mode) in front of the display and at a distance of roughly
1 to 2 feet in front of the display screen.  Thanks in advance.

My take on all of this:  the RFI is real, I am sure of that.  "Hot" radios are
more affected than "standard" ones - Ken's radio and my Motorola are probably
indicative of most consumer grade AM BCST sets on the market insofar as
sensitivity is concerned.  (That's the reason that the Super Radio has endured
as a product for some 30 years - it does what most other sets can not do: pull
in real DX.)  It is not likely that most 19AV600U owners will ever have an RFI
issue.  It is also possible that my particular set is an anomaly (just my
luck!) in being so noisy.  Again, any info on these, or other, LCD sets will be
appreciated.

73, Dale
WA9ENA