RFI

Re: [RFI] Interesting Noise

To: "Alan NV8A" <nv8a@charter.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Interesting Noise
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:40:31 -0600
Alan,

Bearing in mind the very strong signal strength on 2m, the source must have
been fairly close to Doug's QTH - my guess would be on the order of not
more than 1/4 mile, at most.  If Doug did hear 60 Hz components to the
signal, then I would agree that your conjecture is reasonable and possible.
I would add only that another possibility could have been a burst of corona
from the power lines, possible due to some defective or dirty insulators.

Years ago, I had very severe 60 Hz-related interference on 2m FM (not a
usual circumstance!) that had me stumped as to the cause, especially since
it was of an intermittant nature.  Then, one humid summer morning as I was
leaving the house for the work commute, I heard the unmistakable sound of a
corona discharge in the air.  It was coming from a power pole that held 3
big pole pigs that were used to feed 3-phase power to a supermarket, and
was located about 100 feet from my property.

I called ComEd, the local power utility in the Chicago area, and gave them
the pole number and physical location.  By the time I got home from work
that evening, several hundred feet of new INSULATED high-tension line had
been run and the problem never returned.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

I've