RFI

Re: [RFI] Success!!!!!

To: "Dave Cole" <dave@nk7z.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Success!!!!!
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:11:06 -0500
Dave,

Thanks for sharing your success story.  Very interesting, indeed.

One comment: You say that the homeowner will be replacing the noise-making
power source.  The problem is that the replacement is highly likely to be
another switching power supply that might be just as bad as the present one
(or even worse!).  It might be worth your while to ask the gentleman (glad
to hear he is cooperative) just what the specs are on that unit.  (Output
voltage and current are almost always provided on the label or molded into
the case of power supplies - wall warts, if you will).  If the output is
something common, such as 6VDC, 9VDC, or 12 VDC, it might be possible to
replace the noise-maker with a linear power supply.  One caveat: be certain
that any linear supply has a regulated output.  Yes, it will run warm, but
it won't generate the hash.  You may have to help him locate a source for a
regulated linear supply, since they seem to be getting less-common by the
week.  They don't meet "Energy Star" requirements.

The alternative, of course, if he gets another noisy switcher, is to visit
K9YC's website (discussed many times on this list) and apply absorption
and/or filtering techniques as applicable.  Good luck.

73, Dale
WA9ENA