RFI

[RFI] 160M Interference from Mac G4 Monitor

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] 160M Interference from Mac G4 Monitor
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro.tcg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:36:07 -0600
Hello fellow noise hunters.  I have had a persistent problem on 160
meters from my YL's MacIntosh G4
computer monitor. The little capacitive touch buttons on the display
for power and brightness cause a real
racket around  1840 kHz. The noise is about 10 kHz wide, "warbly hash"
in sound, and moves around about
+/- 10 kHz over the course of an evening. The noise renders the
affected portions of 160m useless for DX.
I have identified source using a  hand held receiver, and I am 100%
confident that I have located the source.
Turning off the computer makes it go away. Powering off the monitor
also powers off the computer (it's an
Apple thing, I guess) so I cannot just power off the monitor, without
shutting down the computer.

I need to find a solution where the YL can work on her Mac while I
comb through the static on 160m. Has anyone
else encountered this before? Any ideas on how to quiet things down?
Replacing the computer is not an option
at this time. Thanks for any suggestions.

73  Kirk  K4RO